Personal finance encompasses everything in our lives that pertains to money and setting and achieving financial goals. To effectively manage our finances requires an understanding of financial concepts and approaches, trends that can throw us off course (or worse), and staying in tune with the bigger picture. We apply wise decision making and form a plan toward our goals based on sound knowledge and principles, diligently follow the plan, and review and adjust the plan as our lives change. It’s pretty straightforward.
On this blog, I will introduce and reinforce time-tested personal finance concepts and approaches, and discuss why many ideas and recommendations that appear logical end up hurting us financially. Eliminating debt and maintaining a saving plan take diligence and perseverance, and we need all the encouragement we can get. Below is a list of some of the topics we’ll discuss on this blog. I hope you’ll join me in an ongoing conversation about personal finance management.
Some of the topics we’ll discuss include:
- why we shouldn’t do what everyone else is doing,
- how lifestyle choices affect our financial health,
- how to set achievable financial goals,
- how spending habits are formed and persist,
- successful methods for debt elimination,
- how to develop and implement savings plans,
- the basics of investing and investment types,
- how to develop a long-term savings strategy,
- how to plan for survivorship,
- how we determine our retirement savings amount,
- how we determine if our retirement savings will last through retirement, and
- how we determine how much life insurance is enough.